Lebanon Community School Corporation is thrilled to announce the formation of a dedicated Naming Committee to assist in the important task of naming our new elementary school! As our district continues to grow and evolve, this committee will play a vital role in guiding us towards a name that reflects the values and aspirations of our vibrant community.
The Naming Committee consists of a representative from each of the four current elementary schools, a former school board member, a retired LCSC school administrator, and is chaired by school board member, Trey Hendrix.
Meet the Committee
The New Elementary School Naming Committee members were selected through the recommendations by the Lebanon School Board and school and district administration.
Jane Myers – Mrs. Myers is former LCSC School Board member and respected member of the community. She brings a wealth of knowledge of our district’s history.
Jerry Bohannan – Mr. Bohannan is a retired LCSC elementary administrator. He served as an administrator at Stokes, Perry-Worth, and Harney. Mr. Bohannan has been a life-long member of our community as a student, and a staff member. He has experienced naming of new schools as well as changes in elementary attendance boundaries during his lifetime in LCSC.
Suzi Boyett – Mrs. Boyett is a lifelong member of the LCSC community. Her father was a respected teacher in our district and she now serves the students and families at Harney Elementary. Mrs. Boyett is also a LCSC parent.
Kim Lahrman – Mrs. Lahrman is a teacher at Central Elementary, as well as a LCSC parent.
Mary Dickerson – Mrs. Dickerson serves as Assistant Principal at Perry-Worth Elementary. Mrs. Dickerson has many years of experience as a member of the LCSC faculty and administration, having served at all levels.
Marta Williams – Mrs. Williams is a teacher at Hattie B. Stokes Elementary. Mrs. Williams has been a long standing member of our community and is also a parent of a LCSC student and a LCSC graduate.
McKenzie Leckrone – Mrs. Leckrone is the current Principal of Central Elementary. Mrs. Leckrone has been identified as the principal of the new elementary school that is scheduled to open in the fall of 2025.
Trey Hendrix – Mr. Hendrix is a member of the LCSC School Board and serves as co-chair of the committee.
Why do we need a school Naming Committee?
As a result of the successful 2022 LCSC Capital Referendum, a new elementary school will be constructed following a process of redrawing our current elementary school boundaries.
The current Central Elementary School will remain as an LCSC school building and will be repurposed, likely to provide Pre-K early childhood education and to provide space for other district operations.
What is the job of the Naming Committee?
According to school board policy, a Naming Committee has been appointed with the task of assisting the school board in naming the new elementary school tentatively scheduled to open in August of 2025.
When naming a new facility, a Naming Committee is required to follow the following requirements:
- The proposed name should be appropriate.
- The name should stand the test of time.
- In naming sites or facilities, special consideration may be given to those names that will have some special meaning to the students and the Lebanon Community School Corporation community.
- If the name involves a person, there should be evidence of distinguished service, special school contributions (fiscal or service), or other honors earned which reflect well upon the education received in the School District. Naming a site or facility after a deceased person shall be done after a reasonable waiting period following the individual’s death.
The Committee report to the school board shall include:
- A description of the process followed to name or rename the school.
- Identification of the individuals (and respective roles) on the committee.
- A description of the process and strategy used to arrive at the recommendation.
- A copy of the communication plan.
- Up to three (3) but no less than two (2) potential names for the school
3 potential names
The naming survey has been closed and the school board has been given (3) potential names for the new elementary school. The board will vote on the name of the new school at the September 19th school board meeting at the Herman B. Wells Community Center at Lebanon High School. The possible names for the new elementary are:
- Prairie Creek Elementary
- Cedar Grove Elementary
- Central Elementary
- The proposed name should be appropriate.